Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Now for something a little different....- Tacoma Wedding and Family Photographer

This week we're trying something a little different with the blog.  This post isn't about photography, but more about me.  Sort of.  And a friend.  Let's consider it a "Get to know Dorothy" post.

If you've been a friend of mine, you know one of the things I do is knit.  Like, a lot.  A. LOT.  I made three sweaters last year, if that tells you anything.  I'm combining the photography with the knitting, which we'll get to in another post.  Along with the knitting comes the website Ravelry.  It's a forum/database/FULL OF AWESOME site I've been on for the last 6 years.  I've made some amazing friends through there.  Heather, of T&H Fiber Works is one of those.  She's based in Omaha, NE, one of my old stomping grounds.  That lucky woman gets to go to Zio's, Ted and Wally's, Runza, The Upstream, and Don and Millie's whenever she wants.  SO JEALOUS.

Heather is what's known in the yarn world a an independent dyer.  She works from her house, with her adorable bunnies helping her.  I'm pretty sure they do.  In my head they do.  And her yarns are freaking gorgeous!  I was poking through her site, and seriously, I want to pick up a few.  She's got all weight ranges AND silk hankies.  If you haven't worked with silk hankies yet, you need to.  They're fun, they're soft as hell, and the colors almost glow on them.  Her prices are fantastic, too.

The Dark Elf is my favorite:

I also really like her Tahitian Sunrise.  It reminds me of the sunrises and sunsets in Hawaii.  I miss Hawaii.  The opportunities for a photographer there were amazing.  Beach weddings were my favorite.  

Orchid Delight makes me think of my great-grandmother.  Lilac purple was her favorite color.  If she were still alive, I'd totally use this to make her something.  

Heather does all sorts of beautiful colors, and will even custom dye for you.  Custom dyeing is one of the wonderful things about indie yarn people.  If you have a favorite photo, or something you want to match, you can have it done.  AND!  She gave me a code for you all reading it to use on an order.  If you want to get your hands on some of this awesomeness, go to her website- T&H Fiber Works, pick out some pretties and use the code DDBlog2014 to get 20% off your purchase.  So go!  Check her out! Why are you still here??  

No comments:

Post a Comment